Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Healing Benefits of Mustard

The healing effects of Mustard have been appreciated by many cultures for centuries. The ancient Greeks and Romans, Europeans, and Native Americans have all used mustard for medicinal purposes. It is known for it's detoxification and purification abilities, increasing circulation, oxygenation and the elimination of toxins.  Mustard baths are recommended for treating headaches, colds and cough.  The effects of rheumatic pains and neuralgias are also decreased through regular use.

Lately the aches and pains of life (traveling, gardening and working out) are taking their toll and I've started to search for a remedy.  I came across some literature about the healing benefits of mustard baths and decided to try it out.





I combined mustard with sodium bicarbonate to neutralize acid and restore pH balance. The essential oils of wintergreen, thyme, eucalyptus and rosemary are added to reduce muscle soreness.  The effect of my first bath amazed me.  First I got my house in order so that I could go straight to bed as was suggested.  I prepared my bath and sunk into the yellow fragrant water and let go of the details of the day.  As I soaked I felt my body let go of the tension and I finally relaxed.  I always do a little ritual meditation when I pull the plug on the spent bathwater, imagining my tension and woes being drawn off of me and circling the drain.  Afterward I showered off the residual mustard and made my way to bed.

I am now a true believer in the power of this ancient herb.  I slept soundly straight through the night and woke up refreshed and definitely less tense.  I was inspired to share my conversion with my clients so formulated and packaged my own Mustard Bath for Herbal Alchemy Apothecary, in a packet good for one bath or a jar with two or three.

1 comment: